No matter if you want to repair a lock on your own or you call a locksmith to do that, it’s a good idea to understand how a lock functions, so you can gain a new skill and understand what happened when a lock malfunctions for example. This skill will also help you protect your property better, so it’s crucial to make sure that you learn how to install a lock.
It’s important to know that there are a multitude of locking systems which can be installed in various modes. There are a few steps that are quite common and this is what we are going to showcase in this article.
How to install a lock?
- The first thing you need to do is to find out which type of lock is suitable for that particular setting you are currently using. Most of the time, only a certain kind of locks will suit your needs, to make sure that you perform the measurements and document on your options before choosing a certain lock, as this will remove the headaches that come as time passes.
- Once the lock is chosen, you will have to figure out the install location that it will have. It’s crucial to ensure that the location will be chosen strategically, because if it’s not placed properly, the lock will bring multiple issues into the mix, and you might want to avoid such a thing.
- It’s a good idea to check out if the lock is pre-drilled or not. The pre-drilled locks are easier to install, so it might be a good idea to opt for them if you are a beginner, but professionals can work with either type. Fix the lock accordingly when working, because only if it’s placed in a stable position will you be able to have a great final result.
- If you are replacing the lock, it’s crucial to make sure that you check the current condition of the lock and only replace it if you can’t modify the interior mechanism. If the mechanism is broken, then finding and installing a replacement might be the only option. Fix any outside issues and avoid replacing if the interior is ok.
- Once the outside is fixed, it’s recommended to install the inner components using fixtures. If you purchase a new lock, then it will have an instructions manual.
- It’s important to pay extra attention in regards to the way you handle the internal components, so ensure that these are screwed together nicely. Tighten them if needed.
- Also, ensure that the bolt of your lock is functioning after you manage to fix the lock in place, as this will help you a lot.
- The last step requires a lot of heavy testing in order to ensure that the lock will bring the best possible results. Try various lock combinations and see if it’s working.
Once you complete the testing phase, you will be safe and secure at all times, not to mention that you’ll be proud about acquiring a new skill!
Seem like to much work? Don’t want the hassle? That’s why our locksmith services are here for you. Give us a call now. (210) 255-2977